Are you a graduate student interested in gaining experience working with innovative language technologies and language learning professionals?
Due to travel restrictions related to COVID-19, the Summer 2020 Internship was postponed until Summer 2021. The application period for the Summer 2021 Internship runs from November 2, 2020 through January 31, 2021.
Join Our Team!
Work with a nationally recognized team of professionals who are passionate about technology in world language education.
Learning Design Specialist (Application review starts Nov. 20 – open until filled)
Primary lead for selected technology integration projects at the Language Flagship Technology Innovation Center (Tech Center), providing guidance, facilitating, and ensuring success on projects. The individual in this role collaborates with Language Flagship faculty (project directors, language technology specialists, second language acquisition specialists, etc.) and staff distributed across multiple institutions of higher education across the U.S.
Our ideal candidate will have:
Knowledge of issues and current trends in areas of technology integration in world language instruction, particularly in relation to the less-commonly taught languages.
Experience in instructional design for world language instruction and online learning.
Experience designing and implementing professional development for world language educators.
Proficiency in a Flagship language desirable.
The Language Flagship Technology Innovation Center (Tech Center) in the College of Arts, Languages & Letters is seeking two self-starting graduate students with a keen interest in innovation in language technology and program management. These graduate assistantships open up opportunities to develop technical, pedagogical and administrative skills working with a dynamic group of language professionals in 23 U.S. institutions of higher education.
Provide assistance with day-to-day operations of The Language Flagship Technology Innovation Center (Tech Center – http://lftic.lll.hawaii.edu/). Duties include assisting in the creation of simulations for language learning (Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Chinese, Arabic, etc.), in the ongoing development and maintenance of the Flagship culture app, and in the coordination and execution of Tech Center activities. Duties also extend to working as part of a team of educators on the day-to-day maintenance of online course management systems and various online applications for language learning as they relate to Tech Center projects. Additional duties may include maintaining websites, assisting to keep an active Tech Center presence in social media, participating and assisting in the organization of faculty development activities and student events, face-to-face or online. Tech Center graduate assistants are expected to participate in weekly Tech Center meetings and keep regular weekly work hours on site (due to COVID-19, GA duties are currently performed remotely).
- Classified graduate status in foreign languages, SLS, linguistics, educational technology, or related fields;
- Excellent organizational and communication skills;
- Familiarity with basic principles of instructional design; working knowledge of online learning technologies;
- Demonstrated ability to design and create instructional materials (portfolio or classwork accepted as evidence);
- Ability to provide technical support and guidance to users regarding computer applications and operating procedures;
- Ability to organize and lead online meetings, workshops or webinars.
- Academic interest in language teacher development or project management;
- Ability to work effectively in evolving projects that may at times be ambiguous or have little structure;
- Demonstrated ability to design and develop web pages;
- Familiarity with social media technologies and email newsletter/automation software (e.g. MailChimp);
- Experience storyboarding instructional materials;
- Familiarity with rapid prototyping strategies;
- Familiarity and/or experience with image, sound and video editing software;
- Working competency in a language other than English, preferably a Flagship language (Arabic, Chinese, Korean, Persian, Portuguese, and Russian);
- Knowledge of HTML and web design.
20 hours per week maximum; Monday-Friday; work hours between 8:00am-5:00pm (with some flexibility); start date is January 4, 2021. 11-month GAships are on duty year round with 21 vacation days annually.
GA 11-month, Step 8 ($1,845 monthly @50%FTE).
How to Apply
Submit a cover letter indicating how you satisfy the minimum and desirable qualifications, CV, completed application form (button below) and a copy of transcripts (official transcripts will be required upon hire) to Angela Haeusler at email@example.com.
We will begin reviewing applications on November 9 and continue until the positions are filled.