Summer 2021 Internship
The Language Flagship Technology Innovation Center at the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa offers a Summer Internship Program to qualified graduate students who are interested in gaining experience working with innovative language technologies and language learning professionals. The purpose of the Summer Internship Program is to support graduate student participation in an intensive language technology project. Internship projects are highly focused and have elevated priority within the Tech Center portfolio. Interns are supervised by relevant Tech Center faculty.
The application period for the Summer 2021 Internship opens on November 2, 2020 and will close on February 1, 2021.
Applications that were originally submitted for Summer 2020 will be, at the discretion of the applicant, a) withdrawn, b) retained in the current application pool for 2021, or c) retained but updated for the 2021 application period.
The duration of the internship is 6 to 8 weeks (6 hrs/day Mon. thru Fri.) in which the selected intern works on a specific Tech Center project. Topics for internship projects vary, depending on a student’s interest. For example, a recent Intern was directly involved in the development of an Arabic text summarization algorithm using probabilistic topic modeling techniques (see short video above). These summarizations were subsequently integrated as material in a technology platform for developing intercultural competence.
Areas of expertise that typically overlap with Tech Center projects include natural language processing, human language technology, computational linguistics, data science methods/techniques, digital audio/video data processing and analysis, human computer interaction/design, and learning technology design/implementation.
- Current and active matriculation in an official program of study (Master’s, Ph.D., or advanced graduate certificate) at an accredited post-baccalaureate institution in an area of relevance to language, learning, and technology (E.g., World Languages, Linguistics, Human Language Technology, Learning Sciences, Computer Science, etc.).
- Current GPA of 3.0 or higher *
- Available for onsite work at the Tech Center at the University of Hawaii at Manoa in Honolulu, Hawaii, USA (Onsite work is expected unless otherwise restricted by national, state, local, or University of Hawaii COVID 19 policies or the Tech Center funder on the start date of hire.)
- Minimum of two years academic and/or professional experience in areas relevant to language, learning, and technology.
- Applicant is eligible to work in the U.S. or have work authorization through, for example, CPT (F-1 visa) or, under certain circumstances, AT (J-1 visa)
- *Transcripts are required if an applicant is selected.